Hey lovelies! I wanted to talk about all the lovely moments of 2014 that made us women feel proud.
- Mindy Kaling discusses being called “ugly and fat” on social media in the video above, clearly putting everyone back in their place.
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt came out as a feminist, defining feminism in this simple paragraph:
“What feminism means to me is that you don’t let your gender define who you are; you can be who you want to be, whether you’re a man, a woman, a boy, a girl, whatever. However you want to define yourself, you can do that and should be able to do that, and no category ever really describes a person because every person is unique. That, to me, is what “feminism” means. So yes, I’d absolutely call myself a feminist.”
- Lena Dunham partnered with Planned Parenthood for her “Not That Kind Of Girl” book tour, with her statement:
“It’s critical that we all do everything we can to ensure that women have access to the full range of reproductive and sexual health care without their bosses or politicians or judges getting in the way…Planned Parenthood will have a presence on my tour so that people can learn about Planned Parenthood health services and the invaluable information that Planned Parenthood educators provide, and become involved as advocates and volunteers.”
- Beyonce stood before a backdrop with the word “Feminist” across it at the VMAs this year, empowering all us women.
- Laverne Cox became the first transgender woman to be nominated for an Emmy for her role on Orange Is The New Black, taking the world by storm.
- Benedict Cumberbatch recently sported a “This is what a feminist looks like” t-shirt alongside Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Tom Hiddleston from the Fawcett Society for Elle UK’s feminism issue. This helped get the message across that men can be feminists too!
- Emma Watson became a U.N. Women Goodwill Ambassador and started the HeForShe campaign to encourage men to help end gender inequality.
- Jim Chapman getting involved in the HeForShe campaign and taking to youtube and twitter to share the love.